What's AMD (Graphics) up to?

Computer Hardware & Technology, Overclocking, Case Mods, Cooling

Moderator: Moderators

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: What's AMD (Graphics) up to?

Post by powerarmour »

TL;DR It's a long vid, but Buildzoid does make some good points.

No doubt AMD can build a card to challenge the RTX 3080, but what are the drivers going to be like?, and how loud is the reference card going to be at ~300W? (AMD have never really built a quiet card recently)
Libera te tutemet ex inferis
shadow
nForced²
nForced²

Post by shadow »

The 5700 XT with blower might not be objectively quiet but to me it seems fine. I haven’t had a problem with the noise at all.

Since the heat is blown out of the system my other fans stay pretty quiet too and I’ve only had two case fans in my system instead of the usual three.

I’m more concerned about the initial release hardware and software quality issues they had with the 5700 lineups not happening again.
Soon to be primarily a console gamer.
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

AMD can produce good silicon but make crappy reference cards IMHO, they should just let Sapphire build them instead.
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara »

powerarmour wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 10:15 am AMD can produce good silicon but make crappy reference cards IMHO, they should just let Sapphire build them instead.
They should have understood this by now. It won't help if you have the best cost/benefit ratio if your card has iffy drivers and is noisy. Acoustic performance is one of the main characteristics I check when purchasing a graphics card.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

shadow wrote: Sat Sep 05, 2020 2:26 am The 5700 XT with blower might not be objectively quiet but to me it seems fine. I haven’t had a problem with the noise at all.

Since the heat is blown out of the system my other fans stay pretty quiet too and I’ve only had two case fans in my system instead of the usual three.
Related:

:P
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara »

powerarmour wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 12:37 pm
Related:

:P
The TL;DR: the blower coolers try to solve, badly, a problem that is elsewhere, which is bad case ventilation. A better solution, quieter and more efficient, is to have a standard ventilation card and have functional case cooling.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Tabajara wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:01 pm The TL;DR: the blower coolers try to solve, badly, a problem that is elsewhere, which is bad case ventilation. A better solution, quieter and more efficient, is to have a standard ventilation card and have functional case cooling.
Indeed, and although Buildzoid rambles a bit, he goes through all the reasons why it's just not an effective design.
Blowers are certainly less crap with <100W cards and mITX cases though, but just can't scale without big RPM increases.
shadow
nForced²
nForced²

Post by shadow »

Tabajara wrote: Tue Sep 08, 2020 3:01 pm The TL;DR: the blower coolers try to solve, badly, a problem that is elsewhere, which is bad case ventilation. A better solution, quieter and more efficient, is to have a standard ventilation card and have functional case cooling.
I'll stick with what I've got until it stops working for me either way. I was just saying as far as day to day usage I rarely notice it.

I thought about aftermarket cooling but just don't feel like doing that again. Maybe after I get the XSX.
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

RDNA2 October 28th:
shadow
nForced²
nForced²

Post by shadow »

I should mention if my case didn't have noise prevention stuff it'd probably bother me more.