Covid-19

General science/tech/society news, everything not directly related to computer hardware/software.

Moderator: Moderators

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Covid-19

Post by powerarmour »

Tabajara wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 11:11 am This is a disease about how humans can't collectively be unselfish for a month even to save their lives. A real 30 day lockdown, anywhere, should be enough to stop the spread and control the disease.
Indeed, and I think most countries are just as guilty of that, only the APAC nations seem to pay heed to this. #-o

Sure there are some caveats that it can also be spread by animals and parcels, but by and large we wouldn't even need vaccines if everyone practised social distancing basics. It is a very smart/efficient virus though, it's certainly outwitted and made fools out of a lot of humans.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

This f**cking government [-X
TL;DR - they had forecasts of how many cases would develop if they did nothing. And they waited until those forecasts came true before doing something.
Water cooled clay
impar

Post by impar »

Greetings!
AstraZeneca vaccine linked to rare blood clots, EU regulators conclude
Link throws fate of AZ’s vaccine into question—and casts dark shadow over J&J’s vaccine.
The new side effect listing in the EU will only make things more difficult for AstraZeneca. And it’s also likely to cast a shadow over the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine, which is authorized in the US and elsewhere and uses the same design as AstraZeneca’s vaccine.
https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04 ... egulators/
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX 5700 - 1TB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

This war is nothing but graphs of production intersecting...
General Groves, in Uber Invasion #11
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Chinese official says local vaccines 'don't have high protection rates'
China's top disease control official has said the efficacy of the country's Covid vaccines is low, in a rare admission of weakness.

In a press conference, Gao Fu added that China was considering mixing vaccines as a way of boosting efficacy.
China has developed four different vaccines approved for public use, though some trials abroad had suggested efficacy as low as 50%.
Mr Gao later said his comments had been misinterpreted.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56713663
impar

Post by impar »

Greetings!
One side effect of the COVID-19 vaccine could be a heavier period
A newly launched survey is trying to find out

https://www.theverge.com/2021/4/9/22374 ... avy-survey
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX 5700 - 1TB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

This war is nothing but graphs of production intersecting...
General Groves, in Uber Invasion #11
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

Got my first AZ jab this morning. Haven't developed a hankering to buy a Zune yet, but we'll see if anything changes.

I did learn that I'm seriously out of shape though. Subway station escalators were out of order :lol:
Water cooled clay
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara »

powerarmour wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:41 am Chinese official says local vaccines 'don't have high protection rates'
China's top disease control official has said the efficacy of the country's Covid vaccines is low, in a rare admission of weakness.

In a press conference, Gao Fu added that China was considering mixing vaccines as a way of boosting efficacy.
China has developed four different vaccines approved for public use, though some trials abroad had suggested efficacy as low as 50%.
Mr Gao later said his comments had been misinterpreted.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-56713663
A recent Brazilian study found the opposite: eficaccy of 62,3%, including against the P1 and P2 variants. This study is under revision for publishing at The Lancet, should be out soon.

As a member of the law enforcement I received a Coronavac jab and I'm glad I did. A virologist friend of mine says the Coronavac should be better against future variants because it uses the whole virus and not just a crown protein.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Tabajara wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:39 pm As a member of the law enforcement I received a Coronavac jab and I'm glad I did. A virologist friend of mine says the Coronavac should be better against future variants because it uses the whole virus and not just a crown protein.
That's fair enough, and I don't think there are any 'bad' vaccines it seems, better than an unprotected Covid infection for sure.
thegrommit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:27 pm Got my first AZ jab this morning. Haven't developed a hankering to buy a Zune yet, but we'll see if anything changes.
Give it ~12 hours and see how you feel, a mild fever and general aches/pains are very common. :sweet:
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

powerarmour wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm
thegrommit wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 4:27 pm Got my first AZ jab this morning. Haven't developed a hankering to buy a Zune yet, but we'll see if anything changes.
Give it ~12 hours and see how you feel, a mild fever and general aches/pains are very common. :sweet:
Yeah, I really started feeling it last night and woke up aching all over.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04 ... ood-clots/
The problem is actually less than a one-in-a-million issue; in data from the US, where 6.8 million doses of this vaccine have been used, there have only been six instances of the clotting problem detected.
As people on twitter have noted, that's less than the pill.
Water cooled clay
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara »

thegrommit wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 9:19 pm
powerarmour wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:02 pm
Yeah, I really started feeling it last night and woke up aching all over.

https://arstechnica.com/science/2021/04 ... ood-clots/
The problem is actually less than a one-in-a-million issue; in data from the US, where 6.8 million doses of this vaccine have been used, there have only been six instances of the clotting problem detected.
As people on twitter have noted, that's less than the pill.
Some aspirin should be helpful in handling any clotting, and harmless. :sweet:
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet: