Grrrr FU Intel!!!!!

Laptops, Notebooks, Smartphones and Networking

Moderator: Moderators

daglesj
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Grrrr FU Intel!!!!!

Post by daglesj »

Got a customers laptop in to do some upgrades on (basically service and SSD upgrade). Anyway last night I checked up and found the CPU was pretty easy to get to so as a freebie extra I decided to upgrade the Celeron 1005 to a i3 3120M (iirc). I get loads of CPUs from old failed laptops I swap out for customers new ones.

The CPU went in fine and all worked great but I found the machine suddenly just shut down. :-k

Temps were okay. Nothing adrift in error reports other than the machine shut down unexpectedly. Okay thought I, maybe its the HDD or a upgrade to 10 2004 would work. I checked the BIOS and it was the only one available.

Still shutting down after a period of time. I then did some digging and found out that Intel limited the HM70 chipset to pentium and celerons only. If you put a I3 or higher in...it shuts the machine off after 30 mins. :thumbsdown:

Oh well, back we go again...
The spec of my PC? 5960X @ 4.4GHz / Asus X-99A MB / 32GB Quad DDR4 3200 / PM961 NVMe / RX 480 / RM650X / Artic Cooling 240 AIO / iFi Nano Black Label DAC
jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Grrrr FU Intel!!!!!

Post by jpr »

What in the **** #-o

Would be nice if Coreboot were more widely supported, it also gets rid of this type of BS. Meh.
No sig due to budget cuts.
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Grrrr FU Intel!!!!!

Post by powerarmour »

That's one of the worst kinds of OEM BS, almost as bad as re-wiring the ATX connector so you can't use any other PSU. #-o
Libera te tutemet ex inferis