Consumer router insecurity

Laptops, Notebooks, Smartphones and Networking

Moderator: Moderators

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Re: Consumer router insecurity

Post by jpr » Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:45 pm

My ISP supplies me with an "all-in-one" router/AP/ONT, so it's not super-convenient to use anything else (telephony and TV service depend on it as well, AFAIK). I'll just have to hope it's not compromised (it actually works quite well, but the b****** (Vodafone) disabled bridge mode so they can sell their own WiFi extenders :x - I might open another topic about that soon, actually :-k ).
No sig due to budget cuts.

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 pm

https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... h-malware/
A recently discovered hack of home and small-office routers is redirecting users to malicious sites that pose as COVID-19 informational resources in an attempt to install malware that steals passwords and cryptocurrency credentials, researchers said on Wednesday.

A post published by security firm Bitdefender said the compromises are hitting Linksys routers, although BleepingComputer, which reported the attack two days ago, said the campaign also targets D-Link devices.
Water cooled clay

shadow
nForce Padawan
nForce Padawan

Post by shadow » Thu Mar 26, 2020 2:05 am

thegrommit wrote:
Wed Mar 25, 2020 10:28 pm
https://arstechnica.com/information-tec ... h-malware/
A recently discovered hack of home and small-office routers is redirecting users to malicious sites that pose as COVID-19 informational resources in an attempt to install malware that steals passwords and cryptocurrency credentials, researchers said on Wednesday.

A post published by security firm Bitdefender said the compromises are hitting Linksys routers, although BleepingComputer, which reported the attack two days ago, said the campaign also targets D-Link devices.
They don't list any specific routers and appear to say it's largely people with poor credentials set that should be worried.

Honestly I've known so many people that just plug it in and expect it to work when it comes to tech stuff. It's depressing. The recent move to either not having or not enabling the web config page by default with some vendors is a plus.

(And automatic updates.)
This planet ain't big enough for the both of us!