The Beautiful Game

General distractions & off-topic posts

Moderator: Moderators

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: The Beautiful Game

Post by powerarmour »

thegrommit wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:21 pm They were ninth when he was fired. That's kinda why they fired him :-^
Chelsea clearly had a good squad though, I'd have been surprised if they finished lower than 6th, even with Lampard.
Pep and Ole were 9th and 8th in December, Klopp was 8th in March...
thegrommit wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:21 pm More specifically, the owners. Chelsea have an oligarch who'll pump as much money into the club as he wants. Arsenal doesn't.
This is the thing, I mean now it's pretty clear that Chelsea are the biggest club in London, that 2nd Champions League title has taken them to the next level, only us and United have won two or more. No other London club comes close to that now, certainly not Spurs or Arsenal anymore, they'll keep attracting better players and better managers unless there is a change of ownership.

If Arsenal still think they are a big club, they'd have sacked Arteta by now. Even Spurs sacked Mourinho.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

powerarmour wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 9:35 am
thegrommit wrote: Sat May 29, 2021 11:21 pm They were ninth when he was fired. That's kinda why they fired him :-^
Chelsea clearly had a good squad though, I'd have been surprised if they finished lower than 6th, even with Lampard.
Pep and Ole were 9th and 8th in December, Klopp was 8th in March...
The point was that Lampard wasn't able to make good use of that squad - hence ninth. I'm realistic enough to recognize Arsenal's squad is nowhere near as strong, even if we did beat them.
This is the thing, I mean now it's pretty clear that Chelsea are the biggest club in London, that 2nd Champions League title has taken them to the next level, only us and United have won two or more. No other London club comes close to that now, certainly not Spurs or Arsenal anymore, they'll keep attracting better players and better managers unless there is a change of ownership.
Champions League wins aren't the only criteria for how "big" a club is. City haven't won one, but they're not going to have trouble attracting players. The Kroenke's however seem to have little interest beyond using Arsenal as a cash cow.
If Arsenal still think they are a big club, they'd have sacked Arteta by now. Even Spurs sacked Mourinho.
The Spuds sacked Mourinho because he wasn't demonstrating progress, despite having some good (for them ;) ) players. Arteta won a trophy with the weakest arsenal squad in years, even if this season ended up a turd.
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

van Gaal won the FA Cup with United also and still got his papers.

Arteta might work out, but his lack of experience is a gamble and there are some proven managers out there at the moment that would be less risky, that's why I find it a bit strange why they haven't acted, especially when you see the reaction that Tuchel got (clearly a top quality coach btw).
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

powerarmour wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 2:26 pm van Gaal won the FA Cup with United also and still got his papers.

Arteta might work out, but his lack of experience is a gamble and there are some proven managers out there at the moment that would be less risky, that's why I find it a bit strange why they haven't acted, especially when you see the reaction that Tuchel got (clearly a top quality coach btw).
I've some qualms about his decision making (see: Willian), but can see why he's being given some more time. The players seem to have bought into his methods, and have played better than under Emery. This despite taking over a demoralized and disjointed squad at the start of the pandemic. I'd be disappointed if there isn't major improvement next season though, especially without the distraction of midweek football.

After all, Liverpool almost managed to win the league when you weren't playing in Europe :wink:
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

thegrommit wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:00 pm After all, Liverpool almost managed to win the league when you weren't playing in Europe :wink:
That'll only work out if you have a small tight squad, are lucky with injuries and it doesn't happen often (Leicester in 15/16 and Chelsea the season after, Liverpool weren't lucky enough in 13/14), otherwise the bigger squads you need for European football generally work out better.
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

powerarmour wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:10 pm
thegrommit wrote: Sun May 30, 2021 8:00 pm After all, Liverpool almost managed to win the league when you weren't playing in Europe :wink:
That'll only work out if you have a small tight squad, are lucky with injuries and it doesn't happen often (Leicester in 15/16 and Chelsea the season after, Liverpool weren't lucky enough in 13/14), otherwise the bigger squads you need for European football generally work out better.
I don't seriously think we'll do it, especially given the state of the squad :lol: However, I would want to see that we're competing for the Champions League spots again if Arteta is to be given another season.
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Carlo Ancelotti leaves Everton for Real Madrid return:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/57319559
If Everton are ever going to improve, they need to learn how to spend money...
impar

Post by impar »

Greetings!

The location of the Euro2020 games is weird, some teams will play at home all their group stage games.
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX 5700 - 1TB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

This war is nothing but graphs of production intersecting...
General Groves, in Uber Invasion #11
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

Denmark - Finland

Whichever ghoul continued filming Eriksen receiving CPR after his team mates had formed a protective circle should be fired.

[edit] fortunately, it sounds like he's stable for now.
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

It was pretty shocking to see for sure, but thankfully they managed to bring him back.

Incredible work all round from the medics and his team mates.