Internet...

General distractions & off-topic posts

Moderator: Moderators

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Internet...

Post by powerarmour » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm

It's a heck of a lot easier to build a tape reader than almost anything else, you just need a magnetic field and a loop of wire. :P
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:02 pm
It's a heck of a lot easier to build a tape reader than almost anything else, you just need a magnetic field and a loop of wire. :P
I understand, but then the researcher would need to understand what all those 1s and 0s written on the tape meant, if he got to the point of understanding those were 1s and 0s.

A stone in your garden could hold all the knowledge acquired by the dinosaur overlords in the millions of years they ruled the earth. How would you know how to extract it?
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:42 pm

Tabajara wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 10:27 pm
I understand, but then the researcher would need to understand what all those 1s and 0s written on the tape meant, if he got to the point of understanding those were 1s and 0s.

A stone in your garden could hold all the knowledge acquired by the dinosaur overlords in the millions of years they ruled the earth. How would you know how to extract it?
As long as you knew it held data, any reasonably intelligent being could figure it out, it's like those discs that were made for the Voyager spacecraft, I'd doubt any aliens would have a turntable handy, but they'd figure it out fairly quickly. :sweet:
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:02 pm

I suppose we just need to make sure Wikipedia is perpetuated through the ages :-B

More seriously, I wouldn't be at all surprised if alien civilizations out there were using reasonably similar encodings to ours for whatever digitalization process they have - it's a bit like the many pyramidal monuments spread throughout the world - every civilization independently converged to using the most efficient, durable way of pilling up rocks :-k
No sig due to budget cuts.

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 pm

I think Tabby is right that the biggest challenge will be interpretation of the data as that requires an understanding of the cultural context.

If someone saw the phrase "it's just Spurs", they would need to grasp a whole bunch of concepts -e.g. football as a sport, the Premier League, Tottenham Hotspur the entity, and their match record. In this case, they'd also need to understand that I'm not talking about a piece of horse riding equipment :lol:

How the data is encoded, or the media that is used is a comparatively straightforward problem.
Water cooled clay

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:09 am

thegrommit wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 11:08 pm
How the data is encoded, or the media that is used is a comparatively straightforward problem.
But then you would have to understand that the device was meant to store data, and how data was stored (and encoded) on such device. Wikipedia is excellent, but it demands a functioning internet. What could save a future civilization is a properly stored encyclopaedia brittanica :hoghappy: .

The Voyager ships were designed so that the data could be understood; our current devices and storage medium assume there is an information infrastructure to understand the data. An infrastructure that wasn't around 40 years ago, a very small period in the historical context.

We might not have all civilizations do the same smart technological architectural choices; maybe those are the only ones that survived time.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Sat Mar 09, 2019 9:52 am

This conversation reminded me of a comment I've read at arstechnica not long ago:
AusPeter wrote:
cactusbush wrote:Rest assured that 900 years from now, ceramic toilet bowls, urinals and washbasins will be among the most numerous artifacts recovered from our civilization.
Do you mean like:
https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/108 ... _Mysteries

Quote:
It is the year 4022; all of the ancient country of Usa has been buried under many feet of detritus from a catastrophe that occurred back in 1985. Imagine, then, the excitement that Howard Carson, an amateur archeologist at best, experienced when in crossing the perimeter of an abandoned excavation site he felt the ground give way beneath him and found himself at the bottom of a shaft, which, judging from the DO NOT DISTURB sign hanging from an archaic doorknob, was clearly the entrance to a still-sealed burial chamber. Carson's incredible discoveries, including the remains of two bodies, one of then on a ceremonial bed facing an altar that appeared to be a means of communicating with the Gods and the other lying in a porcelain sarcophagus in the Inner Chamber, permitted him to piece together the whole fabric of that extraordinary civilization.
And

Quote:
"that the toilet seat is a sacred collar one must wear before shouting, down the hole, to the gods below"

impar

Post by impar » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:00 am

Greetings!
Sir Tim Berners-Lee warns of the Web's 'dysfunctions'
Berners-Lee's latest piece identifies what he describes as 'three sources of dysfunction affecting today’s web: Deliberate, malicious intent, such as state-sponsored hacking and attacks, criminal behaviour, and online harassment; system design that creates perverse incentives where user value is sacrificed, such as ad-based revenue models that commercially reward clickbait and the viral spread of misinformation; unintended negative consequences of benevolent design, such as the outraged and polarised tone and quality of online discourse.

His solution, of course, is broader adoption of the Contract for the Web.
https://www.bit-tech.net/news/tech/soft ... nctions/1/
W10x64 - P55 - i5 750 - 8GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

impar

Post by impar » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 am

Greetings!
impar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am
The Tumblr ban of pr0n will be interesting to follow.
Tumblr pr0n ban: One-fifth of users have deserted site since it removed adult content
Visits to the Tumblr website fell from 521 million in December to 437 million in January, according to data from web analytics firm SimilarWeb.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 17546.html
And keeps falling:
https://www.similarweb.com/website/tumblr.com#overview
W10x64 - P55 - i5 750 - 8GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:50 pm

impar wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:00 am
Greetings!
impar wrote:
Fri Dec 14, 2018 11:48 am
The Tumblr ban of pr0n will be interesting to follow.
Tumblr pr0n ban: One-fifth of users have deserted site since it removed adult content
Visits to the Tumblr website fell from 521 million in December to 437 million in January, according to data from web analytics firm SimilarWeb.
https://www.independent.co.uk/life-styl ... 17546.html
And keeps falling:
https://www.similarweb.com/website/tumblr.com#overview
Next there will be probably a Tumblr embrace of pr0n... :mrgreen: