Post by powerarmour »

Tech analysis:

Libera te tutemet ex inferis
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Re: Unreal Engine 5

Post by Tabajara »

powerarmour wrote: Wed May 13, 2020 6:22 pm Nothing like a new Unreal Engine to start a new gen:

Also here:
viewtopic.php?f=6&p=704335#p704335
Good comment from Ars's take on it:
johnsonwax wrote:So, the graphics aren't really the headline here. The biggest impediment to large open-world games is the cost of asset development. What you ultimately want to be able to do is take a model of NYC and use that as your starting point for either Spiderman or The Division and not have to recreate those assets over and over.

Across various movie studios all of NYC has been modeled to a pretty high detail. Surely it will be cheaper to license those assets and downsample in-engine. Being able to render one poly per pixel opens up the space much as retina displays eliminated the need to do custom pixel art and hand antialiasing, and allowed you to just throw vector art around with wild abandon, and not have to hand tweak to make up for the deficiencies in the display. Dynamic lighting further opens that space up. The sound engine does as well.

The ability to eliminate so much hand detailing will allow studios to really expand their worldspace because not only was that work labor intensive, but it was slow. It's why an AAA game takes 7 years to develop, and its why massive world canvasses are only really done fully procedurally (from NMS to DF).

That's really what Epic is focused on here, and surely it derives from the work they're doing with movie studios. These are all problems that they are encountering using Unreal for filming. But now Marvel could build a Mandalorian game around the digital assets they created for the show. Everything is already in-engine. There's still a lot of work to do around gameplay, actors, scripting, dialogue, etc. but having so much of the world assets already done seriously eases the cost and length of development.
(emphasis mine)

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2020/05/ ... -tech-demo
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:
impar

Post by impar »

Greetings!
Unreal Engine 5 Demo to Require RTX 2070 SUPER GPU at Minimum for Smooth Gameplay

https://www.techpowerup.com/267280/unre ... h-gameplay
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX 5700 - 1TB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

This war is nothing but graphs of production intersecting...
General Groves, in Uber Invasion #11
shadow
nForced²
nForced²

Post by shadow »

Epic pointing out that them showing on ps5 first doesn’t really mean anything
https://www.tomsguide.com/amp/news/ps5- ... -says-epic
Good ol USA, where you worry more about being killed by the police than anyone else...but that could happen too.
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

shadow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 pm Epic pointing out that them showing on ps5 first doesn’t really mean anything
That article reads like it was written by a salty Xbox fan. :P
Trying too hard to justify why they were overlooked from a single obvious tweet.
shadow
nForced²
nForced²

Post by shadow »

powerarmour wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:33 pm
shadow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 8:16 pm Epic pointing out that them showing on ps5 first doesn’t really mean anything
That article reads like it was written by a salty Xbox fan. :P
Trying too hard to justify why they were overlooked from a single obvious tweet.
They do write a lot of pro Xbox articles, so usually I wouldn’t link to them. But yes, the source is still Epic so it was valid enough to share.

Hell, with having the crappier console ever since the Xbox One X I’d think Sony fans would be salty at this point.
Good ol USA, where you worry more about being killed by the police than anyone else...but that could happen too.
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

shadow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:14 pm Hell, with having the crappier console ever since the Xbox One X...
Too early to judge that yet, both will run different software and while the XBox has a raw TFLOP advantage, the PS5 has faster I/O.

It'll be all about the games as always, both will be overpowered compared to the average PC at launch. :sweet:

Plus we don't know what Nintendo are cooking yet, they could come out with something from left field and blow everyone away.
shadow
nForced²
nForced²

Post by shadow »

powerarmour wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 9:42 pm Too early to judge that yet, both will run different software and while the XBox has a raw TFLOP advantage, the PS5 has faster I/O.

It'll be all about the games as always, both will be overpowered compared to the average PC at launch. :sweet:

Plus we don't know what Nintendo are cooking yet, they could come out with something from left field and blow everyone away.
Faster I/O but worse compression from what I've read. It'll certainly help. Doubt it'll make up for the other differences though.

As for the games, eh. They both have great games. If I could afford to keep both I'd love to. I'm still trying to get there. :(

As for Nintendo...they'll probably wait til the end of the PS5 and XSX lifecycle and bring out something less powerful than either with some cool gimmick that works and a lot of people love it, but doesn't really make it a better machine.
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

shadow wrote: Wed May 20, 2020 10:25 pm ...something less powerful than either with some cool gimmick that works and a lot of people love it, but doesn't really make it a better machine.
This is exactly what consoles are all about, punching above their weight and being clever with their hardware.

What makes a better machine is balance, as an analogy, what's the point in having a 500HP engine in a car, if the transmission can only handle 400HP... :wink: