Playstation 5

Computer & console games and gaming gear

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: Playstation 4

Post by Tabajara » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:01 pm

We should mention the actual reveal, though:
"Related to that, there's also discussion in the Wired piece on real-time ray tracing as a component in next-gen PlayStation gaming. It's here where the lack of detail is somewhat disappointing in that while the silicon will support ray tracing, there is no confirmation on the extent that it is accelerated via bespoke hardware, as opposed to running in 'software' via compute shaders - as we've seen recently with Windows DXR titles running on older Nvidia 10-series graphics cards. For our part, we hope that the fact it's mentioned at all confirms that there is some hardware assisted RT baked into the design."
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digi ... c-analysis

:mrgreen:
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

User avatar
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: Playstation 4

Post by Tabajara » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:05 pm

And the actual reveal piece:
A TRUE GENERATIONAL shift tends to include a few foundational adjustments. A console’s CPU and GPU become more powerful, able to deliver previously unattainable graphical fidelity and visual effects; system memory increases in size and speed; and game files grow to match, necessitating larger downloads or higher-capacity physical media like discs.

PlayStation’s next-generation console ticks all those boxes, starting with an AMD chip at the heart of the device. (Warning: some alphabet soup follows.) The CPU is based on the third generation of AMD’s Ryzen line and contains eight cores of the company’s new 7nm Zen 2 microarchitecture. The GPU, a custom variant of Radeon’s Navi family, will support ray tracing, a technique that models the travel of light to simulate complex interactions in 3D environments. While ray tracing is a staple of Hollywood visual effects and is beginning to worm its way into high-end processors and Nvidia's recently announced RTX line, no game console has been able to manage it. Yet.
https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-s ... n-console/
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

User avatar
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5315
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:24 am

Re: Playstation 5

Post by thegrommit » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:09 pm

Strictly speaking, my comment was about the PS4. The eurogamer piece I linked was from 2016 :P
Water cooled clay

User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11404
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: Playstation 5

Post by powerarmour » Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:24 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:09 pm
Strictly speaking, my comment was about the PS4. The eurogamer piece I linked was from 2016 :P
Moved back! #-o

But yes the PS5 is likely to be in a different ballpark I/O wise to the PS4.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

User avatar
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Tabajara » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:24 pm
thegrommit wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 4:09 pm
Strictly speaking, my comment was about the PS4. The eurogamer piece I linked was from 2016 :P
Moved back! #-o

But yes the PS5 is likely to be in a different ballpark I/O wise to the PS4.
It will probably be a PCI-e connection, though - if it's something like 2000MB/s and has a low latency to the CPU and GPU, the result will be magic in high resolution. Even if not PCI 4.0, 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth that can make a specialized device fly. :thumbsup:
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11404
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: Playstation 5

Post by powerarmour » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm

Tabajara wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm
It will probably be a PCI-e connection, though - if it's something like 2000MB/s and has a low latency to the CPU and GPU, the result will be magic in high resolution. Even if not PCI 4.0, 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth that can make a specialized device fly. :thumbsup:
Navi is built for PCI-E 4.0, so pretty sure the board will support it at some level for I/O. Not really required on any internal level for an APU/SoC though.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

User avatar
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Tabajara » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm
Tabajara wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm
It will probably be a PCI-e connection, though - if it's something like 2000MB/s and has a low latency to the CPU and GPU, the result will be magic in high resolution. Even if not PCI 4.0, 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth that can make a specialized device fly. :thumbsup:
Navi is built for PCI-E 4.0, so pretty sure the board will support it at some level for I/O. Not really required on any internal level for an APU/SoC though.
I was thinking that even as Sony plays it safe in some devices, the PS2 and PS3 had some pretty advanced caching schemes to insure a high bandwidth between memory, CPU and GPU. AMD might be in a position to deliver something very special in that aspect, even more if you throw some special sauce and a fast and low latency SSD. Big and fast cache (MBM?), a high bandwidth and low latency interconnect, all united through AMDs interconnect... It could be very good.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

User avatar
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5924
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: Playstation 5

Post by Tabajara » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:48 am

Tabajara wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:44 pm
powerarmour wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:59 pm
Tabajara wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:05 pm
It will probably be a PCI-e connection, though - if it's something like 2000MB/s and has a low latency to the CPU and GPU, the result will be magic in high resolution. Even if not PCI 4.0, 3.0 has plenty of bandwidth that can make a specialized device fly. :thumbsup:
Navi is built for PCI-E 4.0, so pretty sure the board will support it at some level for I/O. Not really required on any internal level for an APU/SoC though.
I was thinking that even as Sony plays it safe in some devices, the PS2 and PS3 had some pretty advanced caching schemes to insure a high bandwidth between memory, CPU and GPU. AMD might be in a position to deliver something very special in that aspect, even more if you throw some special sauce and a fast and low latency SSD. Big and fast cache (MBM?), a high bandwidth and low latency interconnect, all united through AMDs interconnect... It could be very good.
Something like this:
Multichip modules
AMD and Sony did not actually say that the CPU and GPU are separate chips. Kevin Krewell, an analyst at Tirias Research, is betting that the Zen 2-based, third-generation, 7-nanometer Ryzen CPU and the Navi GPU will be separate chips, glued together with a data pathway dubbed Infinity Fabric. This single module houses both chips and lets them operate as if they were one.
https://venturebeat.com/2019/04/16/amd- ... or-gamers/
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

User avatar
impar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 18402
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:42 am

Re: Playstation 5

Post by impar » Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:58 am

Greetings!
PlayStation 5 Dev Kit Design May Have Leaked, and the Hardware Looks Bizarre

Image

https://wccftech.com/playstation-5-dev-kit-leak/
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11404
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: Playstation 5

Post by powerarmour » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:11 pm

PlayStation 5 is officially launching in Holiday 2020:

- Haptic feedback
- Ultra HD Blu-ray. Will use 100GB Blu-ray discs (PS3/PS4 was 50GB).
- Faster loading time, streaming, due to new SSD.
- Ray-tracing support
- Backwards compatible with PS4
- VR compatible
- UI revamped to be faster.

https://www.wired.com/story/exclusive-playstation-5/
https://blog.us.playstation.com/2019/10 ... iday-2020/
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

Post Reply