Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Re: Epic Game Store

Post by thegrommit » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:53 pm
thegrommit wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 2:35 pm
The point of the story is that the decision wasn't made by 4A games, but by their publisher. But as the developer, 4A are getting flak. It's an overreaction from people who don't understand how the industry works.
But the publisher wouldn't have just moved games without the 4A's consent to do so either, they create the games after all and will have plenty of input.
That's not how it works. In most cases, Publishers fund development and in exchange get to make the business decisions around marketing and distribution. 4A may have preferred the game stay on steam, but they wouldn't have had the final say.
Like I've said before, when Epic has a Linux store/app I'll consider supporting it, but until then Steam offers much more of an ecosystem.
Frankly, all I want from a store is that it keeps the games updated, that I can launch the game directly from a shortcut, and that the launcher can be set to not run when the OS starts up. I wouldn't care if the rest of the features disappeared overnight. All the steamworks stuff is effectively lock-in for steam.
Water cooled clay

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm
That's not how it works. In most cases, Publishers fund development and in exchange get to make the business decisions around marketing and distribution. 4A may have preferred the game stay on steam, but they wouldn't have had the final say.
I don't agree they wouldn't have had any input, that's not the kind of relationship that sounds productive in any way. If I'm a publisher, I'd rather be part of a team than a dictatorship. But if 4A genuinely didn't have any input, then I'd like to know why they got into making games in the first place, just business?, no care or responsibility to the users?

I'd rather play a game crafted with a bit of love, sold for a reasonable price to be profitable and available on as many platforms as possible (if they have the resources to do so). Elitist BS is originally what got PC gaming into a mess in the 90's.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:22 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:17 pm
thegrommit wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:04 pm
I don't agree they wouldn't have had any input, that's not the kind of relationship that sounds productive in any way. If I'm a publisher, I'd rather be part of a team than a dictatorship. But if 4A genuinely didn't have any input, then I'd like to know why they got into making games in the first place, just business?, no care or responsibility to the users?
4A may have said they would prefer to stay on steam, but the publisher would have the final decision making authority. We don't know for sure, or how contentious that discussion was. Publishers push developers to do things they don't want all the time.
Themes in the "this is why I'm leaving" stories repeat over and over on loop. Publishers hammering down their estimations of hours required or man-hour cost until hugely experienced veteran staff are on less than minimum wage. Publishers making rapid changes to their demands in order to meet meaningless internal goals and targets with no consideration for the actual capabilities of the much smaller company upon whom those demands are imposed. Publishers failing to pay money that's needed to keep the lights on and the salaries paid; publishers forcing studios to cut back on headcount only to demand within a matter of weeks that they increase headcount again to hit a new deadline or implement a new demand; the list goes on and on
Water cooled clay

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:29 pm

Having worked in the game industry (albeit mobile, but business practices shouldn't be too different), I can tell you that at the extreme end of the spectrum the developer is treated as a mere contractor by the publisher - regardless of doing all the work and being credited as the author, etc.

Ideally it's a win-win-win relation for all parties involved, but it really depends on what leverage you have, and how much are you willing to tip the scales between money and freedom, basically :-k
No sig due to budget cuts.

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:47 pm

Axiom Verge free for a limited time, can't recommend this game enough, really well done, engaging story, very nice soundtrack as well =D>
No sig due to budget cuts.

impar

Post by impar » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:24 pm

Greetings!
Metro Exodus Is Now Being Review Bombed on Metacritic

On the off chance Deep Silver hasn’t regretted making Metro Exodus an Epic Games Store exclusive yet, gamers have now taken to popular review-aggregate Metacritic to voice their displeasure by review bombing the post-apocalyptic title. The exclusivity was certainly a hasty decision, as physical copies of the game still feature the Steam logo, just hidden under a sticker.

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/02/17 ... etacritic/
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

TedTS
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by TedTS » Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:57 pm

Thimbleweed Park is now free,grab it until March 7.
i7 4700HQ | 8GB DDR3L-1600 | GT740M-2GB 1188/2000 | 64GB SSD+160GB HDD | 32"LG | G403 | KG805 | HD681▐ G4560 | 8GB DDR4-2133 | R9 380-4GB | 320GB HDD | 32''Samsung | Steelseries Rival100 | Thor 300TKL

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Fri Mar 08, 2019 7:18 pm

https://www.pcgamer.com/the-division-2- ... er-launch/
Ubisoft’s distribution deal with Epic Games on the sale of The Division 2 isn’t just keeping the upcoming game from Steam, it’s also going to prevent digital sales from third-party sites like Gamesplanet and Green Man Gaming once it launches March 15.
Water cooled clay

impar

Post by impar » Fri Mar 15, 2019 10:31 am

Greetings!
Epic Games Store roadmap reveals what features are being worked on

https://www.neowin.net/news/epic-games- ... -worked-on

impar

Post by impar » Sat Mar 16, 2019 9:57 am

Greetings!
Epic says its Game Store is not spying on you
But Sweeney says it will stop accessing Steam friends lists without permission.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/03/ ... ng-on-you/
Epic Games Denies Client Spying Accusations

https://www.hardocp.com/news/2019/03/15 ... cusations/