Assassin's Creed

Computer & console games and gaming gear

Moderator: Moderators

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Assassin's Creed

Post by thegrommit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:20 pm

I just realized we don't have a thread for this series, despite it being ten years old with a dozen mainline games published.

Is anyone else playing Odyssey? It's the first I've played since the original game back in 2007. I'm 15 hours into it, but it's been fun, and is a game I can dip in and out of as time permits. The voice acting for Kassandra is comparable to Jennifer Hale's contribution to Mass Effect in how good it is IMO.
Water cooled clay

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Assassin's Creed

Post by powerarmour » Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 pm

I played half of the first game and decided it wasn't for me. :P
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu Nov 15, 2018 6:37 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 pm
Understandable - I gave up on the first game due to a mandatory timed parkour mission. I then ignored the series until everyone started raving about Odyssey. While stealth is still the preferred approach, there's plenty of meaty melee combat too. And the interaction of systems when things go wrong can have hilarious effects - e.g. civilians will fetch weapons and start attacking you if you accidentally hit them in the middle of a fight, or wild animals can be drawn into an enemy camp to create chaos. The dialog system was lifted straight out of a Bioware game, so it actually feels like an RPG too.

Technically, it's a good looking game, with very pretty day/night cycles and massive draw distances. Facial animations are also solid.
Water cooled clay

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:23 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 5:52 pm
Same thing for me, the gameplay felt just way too repetitive, and the whole "ancestor's memory" thing didnt' really draw me in as a back story :-k

Haven't bothered with later installments, and being published by Ubisoft doesn't help :|
No sig due to budget cuts.

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:49 pm

There's a lot of big franchises that I just don't fancy though, I haven't played COD since No.4, I only played a demo of the original Hitman: Codename 47, and never did Battlefield either.

I know they are all very decent games, but I'd rather put the hours (If I had the time!) into something else (Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice is next on the list) or revisit an old retro classic etc.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 am

jpr wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:23 pm
Same thing for me, the gameplay felt just way too repetitive, and the whole "ancestor's memory" thing didnt' really draw me in as a back story :-k

Haven't bothered with later installments, and being published by Ubisoft doesn't help :|
Fortunately, that meta-story nonsense only seems to take place in a cutscene right at the beginning. I haven't been dumped back into the modern timeline since, so I just treat it as a greek super hero story :lol:

But yeah, I'm not a fan of uplay, and there are bits where you can see that micro-transactions (even if only with in-game currency) influenced the design.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Nov 19, 2018 4:20 am

thegrommit wrote:
Fri Nov 16, 2018 12:04 am
jpr wrote:
Thu Nov 15, 2018 11:23 pm

Fortunately, that meta-story nonsense only seems to take place in a cutscene right at the beginning. I haven't been dumped back into the modern timeline since
Spoke too soon. Hit a main story point where you're briefly returned to the current timeline. Based on this scene, I'm treating this as a Greek version of Mass Effect Andromeda :lol:

There's also some light tomb raiding:

Nice sunsets too

Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:09 pm

Interview with the voice actors for the two main characters in Odyssey, including a small early-game spoiler

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2018/1 ... d-odyssey/

One thing I learned is that one of the major side characters is voiced by the same actor (Elias Toufexis) who played Adam Jensen in the modern Deus Ex games.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Sun Dec 09, 2018 11:27 pm

Finished the three primary story lines in the base game - it's been a long time since I spent over 100 hours in a SP campaign.

The highlight has got to be the minotaur related stuff on Pephka and Messara - well worth nosing around there and following the quest chain.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:25 pm

Sadly, US only:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2018/12/1 ... ct-stream/
Anyone who plays the game on Google's game streaming service for at least an hour between now and January 15th (the end of the test), will get a free PC copy via Ubisoft's Uplay service, plus 1,000 helix credits for all Project Stream participants.
Water cooled clay