Control (the Remedy game, not the Janet Jackson album)

Computer & console games and gaming gear

Moderator: Moderators

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Re: Control (the Remedy game, not the Janet Jackson album)

Post by thegrommit » Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:04 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 pm
I find it tough to criticize console exclusivity when it's not open hardware, no valid reasons for PCs though IMHO.
So you'll be making the same observation on any game that is only available through steam? :-^ How about exclusively on Windows?
Water cooled clay

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 am

thegrommit wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:04 pm
So you'll be making the same observation on any game that is only available through steam? :-^ How about exclusively on Windows?
Correct, I don't think any PC games should be exclusive to a single software eco system, there are no technical reasons they can't (Proton/Wine can run most D3D games fine now), it's not for users benefit.

And just to get one thing clear, I mostly use Steam because it supports both Linux and Windows, if Epic showed the same level of cross platform commitment they'd get the same level of respect.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 8:07 am
thegrommit wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 11:04 pm
Correct, I don't think any PC games should be exclusive to a single software eco system
And yet, you made no such complaint on any previous game this applies to. :-^
Water cooled clay

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 pm
And yet I still didn't purchase it on Origin for the same reason I wouldn't purchase a game on the Epic game store.

Anyway, carry on with your thread... :sweet:
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Fri Jul 19, 2019 5:00 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:11 pm
thegrommit wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 12:18 pm
And yet I still didn't purchase it on Origin for the same reason I wouldn't purchase a game on the Epic game store.
Right, "I'm in for this one" signified no intent to buy :-^ Until the reviews came out. :-^

As I mentioned before, I don't care what platform people choose. Hence, I find the sub-culture of people loudly condemning a game because it's on EGS hilarious.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Aug 12, 2019 4:42 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 2:21 pm
System requirements are out, and they're not messing about with the "recommended" ones:
Huh, it seems the requirements have been downgraded. Whether that's due to pressure from nvidia, or because they've managed to optimize the game remains to be seen:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... -official/
Recommended PC requirements:
CPU: Intel Core i5-7500 / AMD Ryzen 3 1300X or better
RAM: 8GB
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX 1060 / AMD RX 580 or better
Ray tracing GPU: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:21 pm

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... ol-review/
I mention these problems up-front, but know that most of the battles are enjoyable fling-fests. Control is a very serviceable shooter. It feels good in the fingerbits, you know? And there are a lot of wobbly visual effects that make your powers feel like smooth Hollywood super-nonsense. Lift a bench off the ground, and the paper and debris around it will float beside you too. Psychically punch a toilet cubicle and it will shatter into pleasing splinters, the cistern crumbling beneath your mental rage.
There is also some discussion of how repetitive the firefights can get, but the game apparently has a sense of humour. Think I'll hold off on this for a bit.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:22 pm

Sounds like the ray-tracing effects were well done though:

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/08/ ... sterpiece/
And if you paid for one of the newest Nvidia graphics cards on PC, complete with a dedicated ray tracing chip, fast forward that must-play recommendation to "ASAP." Control is exactly the showcase graphical achievement that will ease any buyer's remorse.
A screenshot gallery with/without ray-tracing is included, but they note the effects are better illustrated in motion.

Eurogamer seem to like it too:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019 ... tmodernism
When it all comes together, Control's hallways and board rooms echo with wretched joy. There is something about the chaos of throwing big things about combined with the precision of the powers' targeting system that elevates the action. There is a special halo in nailing someone with a humidor through a distant railing, watching the bars go skewiff and the body crumble. Pillars shed their concrete under gunfire filling the environment with dust and grit. This game is the famous thick-air scene from the Matrix. It takes pains in depicting the way that things fall apart.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:38 am

https://wccftech.com/control-pc-perform ... in-on-rtx/

In DX11 mode (i.e. no ray-tracing) @ 1080p, a GTX 1070 FE averages 56 FPS, and 46 FPS 1% low, while a 2060 Super gets 87 average/74 1% low.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Fri Aug 30, 2019 5:46 pm

Digital Foundry likes what they saw on the PC version, and have some suggestions for disabling superfluous settings when RT is enabled:

Also, it seems Hideo Kojima has a voiceover cameo:

https://www.polygon.com/2019/8/28/20836 ... c-xbox-one
Not only does Kojima make a voice-over cameo, so does Aki Saito, Kojima Productions’ head of marketing. Kojima is the one speaking Japanese, and Saito is providing the translation.
Water cooled clay