Re: Nintendo Switch

Post by Tabajara » Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm

impar wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:42 am
Greetings!
You can now run Android on a Nintendo Switch
Unofficially, of course

https://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker ... dia-shield
I came here to post this - this is, IMHO, the perfect platform to emulate old games, as I talked to PA the other day.
The Nintendo Switch can now run Android, giving the hybrid game console access to Netflix, YouTube, Spotify, Twitch, a wide array of Android apps, and loads of classic game emulators, of course. Specifically, it’s an unofficial port of LineageOS 15.1 based on Nvidia’s own builds for the Nvidia Shield TV set-top-box, meaning you can play Nvidia exclusives like Portal, Half-Life 2, and try Nvidia’s own GeForce Now cloud gaming service.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Tue Jul 30, 2019 5:04 pm

Tabajara wrote:
Tue Jul 30, 2019 12:34 pm
I came here to post this - this is, IMHO, the perfect platform to emulate old games, as I talked to PA the other day.
The only downside with Android is that it's a bit laggy on response times compared to pure Linux when it comes to emulation.
Luckily there is a port of Lakka for the Switch (RetroArch's own baked Linux distro) which has all the low-latency kernel and run ahead goodness. :sweet:

Some Android emulators are very nice though, especially Mupen64Plus FZ which plays almost every N64 game perfectly, even Rogue Squadron and Conker.
The Switch might struggle with Dolphin a bit though as it's clocked slower than the Shield TV and that can only really play the 30fps games like Wind Waker well.
Some 60fps games can still be played obviously but you have to run them with all the hacks, but forget F-Zero GX in wide-screen mode, never going to happen. :P
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

impar

Post by impar » Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:42 am

Greetings!
Turning the Nintendo Switch into Android’s best gaming hardware
You got your Google OS in my Nintendo hardware!

https://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2019/08 ... ravaganza/
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

impar

Post by impar » Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:36 am

Greetings!
“The Switcher” is real: Witcher 3 on Switch is a blurry, tolerable compromise
How do you shrink such a demanding RPG down to Switch's weaker specs? This is how.

https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2019/10/ ... ompromise/
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:54 pm

The Witcher 3 Nintendo Switch port initially ran at 10fps:

https://hexus.net/gaming/news/android/1 ... ran-10fps/

Also:

Libera te tutemet ex inferis

shadow
nForce Aware
nForce Aware

Post by shadow » Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:32 pm

I'm still pondering getting a Switch and Slay the Spire is literally the only reason :lol:
This planet ain't big enough for the both of us!

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 pm

shadow wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:32 pm
I'm still pondering getting a Switch and Slay the Spire is literally the only reason :lol:
No, man, the reason is Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. If you like those it is plenty. Mario Odyssey is a huge game and such good fun, Mario Party is perfect kids and adults party fun. And it's a portable console.

For a the parent of a kid less than ten it makes perfect sense. If it was for me it would have been a PS4. The Switch is safe and wholesome for a kid.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

shadow
nForce Aware
nForce Aware

Post by shadow » Fri Dec 06, 2019 9:39 pm

Tabajara wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:35 pm
shadow wrote:
No, man, the reason is Mario, Pokemon and Zelda. If you like those it is plenty. Mario Odyssey is a huge game and such good fun, Mario Party is perfect kids and adults party fun. And it's a portable console.

For a the parent of a kid less than ten it makes perfect sense. If it was for me it would have been a PS4. The Switch is safe and wholesome for a kid.
Well, Nintendo is allowing less censored titles than Sony is so there's that too. :lol:

I don't have anything against Zelda (I think the last one I played was on the NES,) but the others do nothing for me. I could just use a gaming device on the go that doesn't use touchscreens (as the main input) or seperate controllers or even care if you're connected to the internet.
This planet ain't big enough for the both of us!

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Fri Dec 06, 2019 11:59 pm

shadow wrote:
I could just use a gaming device on the go that doesn't use touchscreens (as the main input) or seperate controllers or even care if you're connected to the internet.
The Switch does that just fine. No internet necessary - games can be cartridge based and the internet store is a bit cumbersome. It does accept screen input but when you are connected to a monitor you can do everything with the controllers, and detach the controllers. The controllers have the motion detection functionality of the Wii, and it's good. I think you would love it.

Something that's not for the Switch: graphically intensive games. It is a shield, try to use it to play Destiny or The Witcher 3 is asking for a low res slideshow.