Moderator: Moderators

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Tom Clancy's: The Division

Post by powerarmour » Mon Mar 18, 2019 12:54 pm

impar wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:29 am
Interesting as the 570-4GB pushes ahead of 1060-6GB.
I'd imagine the Async Compute support helps, it's a strength of Polaris/Vega architecture (and also Turing) and I've noticed a lot of newer DX12/Vulkan titles being less 'kind' to Pascal based cards partly because of this.

Vega 56 is also ~GTX 1080 level here.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:04 pm

Bear in mind that it's also an AMD sponsored title, so I expect they've had more driver optimization time.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Tue Mar 19, 2019 10:11 pm

I'm only at level 14, but this review accurately captures my experience with the game:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... -2-review/
On the strength of its flanking and counter-flanking alone, I’m happy to recommend this shoot-to-loot to anyone who’s hankering for a strong example from a famously over-subscribed genre. But it has more going for it than that. This is also a world of detail and atmosphere. You leave behind dusty bootprints as you walk, and can make out the sound of bullet casings hitting the floor as you fire. Axes are buried in doors, abandoned mid-scavenge. In the beta, I found a dead man behind a bar with his dog lying next to him, also dead.
There has been a lot of craft put into the game, and it's fun just to wander around discovering little details.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:57 pm

https://www.polygon.com/2019/3/27/18281 ... age-gaming
This is how a session goes once Aaron and I are both ready to start: He jumps into my session if I’m already in game and immediately starts helping me with whatever I’m up to. If he’s completed it in his game, that’s okay — he can still play through my world just fine. If he hasn’t completed it in his game, he still gets credit for finishing content in my campaign.
This game really handles co-op play well. I can easily jump into another person's session to help out, even while I'm in my game. Similarly, I can easily invite others into my game, either by asking for help, or setting up a group and inviting them.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Apr 08, 2019 1:54 pm

Finished the main campaign and first round of endgame missions, but have yet to venture into the Dark Zone (mixed PvE and PvP environment)

- You can finish everything playing solo, but some of the side missions are tough.
- Part of the difficulty is that the AI is really good. It will flank you, and attack from multiple angles simultaneously. Feels great when you survive such an encounter though :D
- Main story is barely present, and just there to provide a framework for your missions. This is the weakest part of the game.
- Lots of little environment story telling though

- Weather effects are great, complete with full day/night cycle. Visibility is drastically reduced when thunderstorms or a sand storm hits, especially at night

- Each enemy faction has a variety of classes, and the final one even includes a gun wielding robot dog clearly inspired by Boston Dynamics 8-O

Overall, I'd say this is a better game than the first.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:27 pm

Link contains spoilers:

https://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2019/0 ... t-of-owls/
As of last week’s endgame-expanding update, players have been spotting wooden owls hidden around post-invasion Roosevelt Island, each guarding a candle which can be lit. Seven owls in total, and if all seven candles are lit in the right order, an underground passage is opened.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu May 16, 2019 11:21 pm

https://gamasutra.com/view/news/342831/ ... market.php
“Despite its strong release, The Division 2 ended up short of our ambitious expectations on consoles,” said Dugue. “We believe this is due for a large part to a more competitive market than expected.”

The same isn’t true for PC, however. Dugue says The Division 2 performed well on the platform despite skipping Steam in favor of Ubisoft’s own Uplay platform and the Epic Games Store.
This lines up with the clan I play with, where PC has hit the 50 member cap, but the PS4 and XB1 ones have barely enough active players to get clan rewards.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu Jun 06, 2019 12:26 am

Ubisoft is running an E3 sale on their store, and the game has a 33% discount on both the base and "gold" editions of the game. If you're interested, I suggest the base version. The only content unique to the gold edition are the "classified" missions.
A bunch of new content has come out over the last few months, including a new stronghold mission (basically a larger, tougher main mission) and 8-player raid. Ongoing invasions and apparel events are also regular occurrences, and a new specialization tree is coming in the next couple of weeks.

Other than the raid, all content is playable solo.
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Jun 10, 2019 9:36 pm

I am as surprised as anyone to have found myself becoming a shill for Ubisoft :lol:
Water cooled clay

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:26 pm

This is good timing as the existing content has been getting a bit stale:

https://news.ubisoft.com/en-us/article/ ... ng-july-23
A major free content update is coming soon to The Division 2. Episode 1 – DC Outskirts: Expeditions expands the world of The Division 2 by taking you outside of the city streets of Washington DC to new locations, like Camp White Oak, Manning National Zoo, and Kenly College. Along the way, you can expect new missions, more loot, and Expeditions, a new kind of experience
Water cooled clay