Tomb Raider - Now with a hair conditioner!

Computer & console games and gaming gear

Moderator: Moderators

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Re: Tomb Raider - Now with a hair conditioner!

Post by thegrommit »

powerarmour wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:12 pm Lowest does look laughable though, just testing that on my 2400G now... numbers incoming. :P
Yeah, the complete lack of shadows made me want to scratch out my eyes. I already posted the result with the 1070 @ 1440p, but I can't bring myself to watch it on the 1080 Ti :lol:

Still, it's a fun game, and there are lots of visually spectacular moments.
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Okay, some 2400G numbers, first the apples to apples 1080p/Highest:

And now for some 'playable' resolutions :P

720p/High

720p/Medium

720p/Low

720p/Lowest (Ugly Mode)

Notice there is hardly any difference between 720p/High and Medium, so you may as well opt for High or Low settings on this APU.
With TAA on and sitting back from a big screen with a controller it's almost as good as an Xbox One tbh.

There are some more good benchmark figures here from a wide range of GPU's/IGP's:

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Shadow-of ... 336.0.html
Libera te tutemet ex inferis
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

LOL - I just noticed it color coded the results to indicate playable framerates :lol:
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

thegrommit wrote: Wed Oct 17, 2018 7:16 pm LOL - I just noticed it color coded the results to indicate playable framerates :lol:
To be fair for this sort of game a locked 30fps is fine if you're sitting on the couch with a controller. But it is quite a lot heavier than Rise is for sure, and it certainly won't be playable at all on potato PC's. :P
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Really enjoying Shadow at the moment, quite amazing how big an improvement this is over the previous two games, not just graphically but abilities wise (like actually being able to swim properly for a start) and how smooth Lara is to control generally.

The voice and character animations (at least for the main characters) are very good, almost with an uncanny valley feel and makes something like ME: Andromeda look pretty laughable in 2018 now. Also tested the HDR in the game by hooking it up to my home 4K LG TV, and it looks very impressive too and definitely noticeable over a standard 8bit colour presentation. =D>

A Freesync 2 HDR compatible monitor for my desk may now be on the shopping list for Xmas. :sweet:
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

I finished the campaign and agree it's an improvement over Rise in so many ways. The stealth combat skills are great fun, and I wish it was possible to replay some of the fights without the rest of the stuff.

Visually, it looks great, especially in the cutscenes where they really amp up the detail and lighting quality. My only disappointment is that a big chunk of the game requires you to run around in a specific, very ugly, green costume.
Water cooled clay
impar

Post by impar »

Greetings!
thegrommit wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 3:21 am My only disappointment is that a big chunk of the game requires you to run around in a specific, very ugly, green costume.
https://www.dsogaming.com/news/first-sh ... -released/
W10x64 - B450 - R5 3600 - 16GB - RX 5700 - 1TB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

This war is nothing but graphs of production intersecting...
General Groves, in Uber Invasion #11
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

I quite like the green outfit, it's for the story and I think the developers put it in there to provoke those who just want to stare at a woman's ass instead of playing the actual game.

I played through Super Mario 3 in the tanooki costume, no biggie! :P
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit »

No, impar, I'm not going to click on that link :lol:
powerarmour wrote: Wed Oct 24, 2018 10:10 am I quite like the green outfit, it's for the story and I think the developers put it in there to provoke those who just want to stare at a woman's ass instead of playing the actual game.

I played through Super Mario 3 in the tanooki costume, no biggie! :P
Well, I spent most of the game running around in the Mantel of Six Sky (a feather cape) so I don't mind being forced to wear a costume - just not a bright green one.
Water cooled clay
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour »

Some HDR benchmarks on the RX 480, there is in fact a small hit (couple FPS) at 1080p/High but it's negligible considering the superior IQ (very noticeable on the 2nd jungle benchmark test):

Obviously 4k resolution itself is a bit out of bounds on this card, though 4k/Low is doable:

4k/HDR/Medium:

4k/HDR/Low:

4k 10bit YCbCr422 and 60hz works fine out of the box on my LG TV, but it'll also do 1080p and 120Hz with HDR also (unfortunately no Freesync, but hey).
It's also a waste of time taking HDR screenshots and trying to view them on an 8bit panel, like videos they just look washed out with that extra colour space data missing (unless you try and tweak the gamma, which defeats the object...)