Moderator: Moderators

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Re: Gaming monitors roundup

Post by thegrommit » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 5:57 pm
4k is better for desktop use IMHO, but 1080p is still fine for gaming overall.
400cd HDR won't compare to my 1000cd LG TV, but it should still be a benefit in a few games.
The issue I find is that TV's & monitors out of the box have brightness turned up way too much. I only run my monitor at 25% brightness as the default was headache inducing. I'm curious as to the effect reduced brightness has on HDR content.
4k with 150% scaling will have crisper text than 1440p though, and with the same size ratio.
I tried scaling the text size when I first went 1440, but it looked terrible with some programs not scaling non-text UI elements to match.
Water cooled clay

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:55 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 9:19 pm
I tried scaling the text size when I first went 1440, but it looked terrible with some programs not scaling non-text UI elements to match.
Yeah non-text UI elements aren't always perfect on Windows, though that's probably because of the existing legacy crud.

I get less issues with scaling on Linux in general, Solus w/Budgie is pretty good at either 150% or 200%, and Wayland has a dedicated HiDPI fractional mode also. But even then there are still problems with some legacy apps, that's why consoles and smartphones have far less issues than PC's when it comes to UI scaling.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:31 pm

Arrived today, working perfectly so far and no dead pixels. :sweet:

It's a proper 10bit panel too (not just 8bit + dithering like my BenQ EL2870U) so HDR does look fine on it.
Games like RE2 and SOTTR do look noticeably better in HDR mode.

shadow
nForce Aware
nForce Aware

Post by shadow » Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 am

powerarmour wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 10:31 pm
It's a proper 10bit panel too (not just 8bit + dithering like my BenQ EL2870U) so HDR does look fine on it.
Games like RE2 and SOTTR do look noticeably better in HDR mode.
One side benefit of HDR is while you might need to set the max brightness your monitor can do, you don't need to set the brightness level for the app in general. So it can look much better if you don't generally mess with that stuff.
This planet ain't big enough for the both of us!

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 am

shadow wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 am
One side benefit of HDR is while you might need to set the max brightness your monitor can do, you don't need to set the brightness level for the app in general. So it can look much better if you don't generally mess with that stuff.
Yep that's correct, in HDR mode the monitor will only allow minimal adjustments, it's down to the app/stream to set the subchannel colorspace data so it should all look as the developer/director intended (well that's the idea, but the implementation sometimes needs a bit of fine tuning).

Thing is only Dolby Vision supported TV's at the moment generally have the brightness, local dimming and the wider color gamut to give it true justice though.

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm

shadow wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 6:21 am
I've no experience with this, so need some explanation. If I were to set a HDR monitor to (say) 25% brightness, what effect would that have on HDR content? Does the app/game adjust brightness higher than whatever you've set?
Water cooled clay

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:22 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 3:07 pm
I've no experience with this, so need some explanation. If I were to set a HDR monitor to (say) 25% brightness, what effect would that have on HDR content? Does the app/game adjust brightness higher than whatever you've set?
The max brightness in HDR mode is used to display bright parts of the image, not to increase average brightness relative to a calibrated SDR image. So you can turn down the brightness, but you may find it too dim overall with HDR content.

In a nutshell you'd need to raise your brightness level in HDR mode to match the equivalent in SDR mode, but with a lack of local dimming on most HDR enabled gaming monitors what you're getting isn't quite a 'full fat' experience anyway.

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:58 pm

Also cool to know FreeSync/G-Sync is working fine with the Nvidia Linux driver too, no issues with this monitor there either. :sweet:

shadow
nForce Aware
nForce Aware

Post by shadow » Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 am

powerarmour wrote:
Tue Jan 14, 2020 11:46 am
Thing is only Dolby Vision supported TV's at the moment generally have the brightness, local dimming and the wider color gamut to give it true justice though.
It depends, from what I'd seen many Dolby Vision supporting TVs max out at 500nits, so they're worse than QLED models in that regards.

I guess the newer models don't have that problem, but they're still not better at it according to rtings.

I still love OLED and want it since 99% of my daily content is in SDR. The price is a turn off though.
This planet ain't big enough for the both of us!

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Wed Jan 15, 2020 8:09 am

shadow wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:20 am
It depends, from what I'd seen many Dolby Vision supporting TVs max out at 500nits, so they're worse than QLED models in that regards.
That's naughty OEM's and not the standard though, the minimum certified spec for Dolby Vision should be 1000nits, Rec 2020 and 200,000:1 contrast ratio.

https://www.whathifi.com/advice/dolby-v ... ed-to-know