What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Computer Hardware & Technology, Overclocking, Case Mods, Cooling

Moderator: Moderators

Post Reply
User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11140
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by powerarmour » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm
TL;DR - it's possible, but you'll need to dial it back a bit for longer-term stability.
The thing with VRM's generally is the fewer phases you have, the more cooling you require to keep it within safe tolerances, but most VRM's are fine up to ~110'C anyway and wouldn't die even at 150'C.

I'd imagine most cheap AM4's would boot a 3900X fine, but they'll get toasty running them full load and especially OC'd.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

User avatar
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:24 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by thegrommit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 4:11 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:16 pm
thegrommit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:17 pm
TL;DR - it's possible, but you'll need to dial it back a bit for longer-term stability.
The thing with VRM's generally is the fewer phases you have, the more cooling you require to keep it within safe tolerances, but most VRM's are fine up to ~110'C anyway and wouldn't die even at 150'C.

I'd imagine most cheap AM4's would boot a 3900X fine, but they'll get toasty running them full load and especially OC'd.
Yeah, they didn't have a problem running a load @ stock, just when they enabled PBO. And that board "only" has a 3-stage VRM.
Water cooled clay

User avatar
impar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17844
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:42 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by impar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:32 am

Greetings!
powerarmour wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:54 pm
Tabajara wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:05 pm
I think it will be better to jump by the end of the year or beginning of 2020, when maybe AMD can launch a new chipset or a fixed revision, possibly at a smaller process.
Give it a couple of months and most of the little bugs will be ironed out though I'm sure.
Just waiting to test the Beta of MW5... "early August".
AMD Ryzen 3000 Post-Review BIOS Update Recap: Larger ST Gains, Some Gains, Some Losses

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14632/am ... date-recap
W10x64 - P55 - i5 750 - 8GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11140
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by powerarmour » Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 pm

Ryzen 3000: Asus opens up PCIe 4.0 support for selected X470 and B450 boards:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen ... oards.html

Yup, I've now got PCIe 4.0 support on my X470-I :sweet:
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

User avatar
impar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17844
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:42 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by impar » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm

Greetings!

Notice the silence from Intel camp?
W10x64 - P55 - i5 750 - 8GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11140
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by powerarmour » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:31 pm

impar wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:32 pm
Notice the silence from Intel camp?
I'm not surprised, bar the 9900K (which is still arguably the best gaming CPU) all their other SKUs including their HEDT platform look completely uncompetitive.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

User avatar
thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 4943
Joined: Sat Aug 02, 2003 1:24 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by thegrommit » Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:53 pm
Ryzen 3000: Asus opens up PCIe 4.0 support for selected X470 and B450 boards:

https://www.guru3d.com/news-story/ryzen ... oards.html

Yup, I've now got PCIe 4.0 support on my X470-I :sweet:
How can you tell? I assume you don't have a PCIe 4.0 SSD, and the Asus support site for the boards mentioned make no mention of this support.
Water cooled clay

User avatar
powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad
Posts: 11140
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2002 2:10 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by powerarmour » Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm
How can you tell? I assume you don't have a PCIe 4.0 SSD, and the Asus support site for the boards mentioned make no mention of this support.
It's just enabled in the latest BIOS, obviously I'd need a Zen2 to activate it and on my board only the M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 allowed, but it's been tested as working as per below for certain select Asus boards:
With the current available C7H BIOS 2406, PCI-E Gen 4 will work with any PCI-E Gen 4 device connected to the CPU PCI-E lanes without any changes to BIOS settings. Just plug the device and install the driver. Similarly a PCI-E Gen 4 NVMe drive plugged in the CPU M.2-slot should work at Gen 4. The conclusion is that at least on AGESA 1.0.0.2, PCI-E Gen 4 is not actively blocked on non-X570 motherboards. If it will work on your board or in specific slots will be down to the board layout. The closer the slot is to the CPU (shorter trace length) the higher the chance of success. Increased PCB layer count and lack of PCI-E switches will also increase the chance of success.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachm ... 1562696771
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd- ... -x570.html

AMD officially said they wouldn't support PCIe 4.0 on X470/B450, but it doesn't mean that the motherboard OEMs can't validate it themselves.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

User avatar
impar
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 17844
Joined: Fri Mar 21, 2003 11:42 am

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by impar » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:34 am

Greetings!
No, AMD Still Isn’t Enabling PCIe 4 On 300/400 Series Boards
...
So, to get right to the heart of matters, I reached out to AMD PR this evening to find out what’s going on with PCIe 4 support. The short version then is that no, AMD’s plans have not changed: PCIe 4 support will be disabled in the shipping AGESA for these boards.
Our plan is unchanged. For the reliability and consistency reasons cited at Computex, we still intend to disable PCIe Gen 4 for pre-X570 motherboards. That AGESA is being released to motherboard manufacturers soon.
As things stand, any boards that currently support the feature would be using pre-release AGESAs, and as we’ve seen with our own BIOS issues, the Ryzen 3000 BIOS situation is still evolving fast. So with AMD intending to permanently disable the feature – and prevent any workarounds – AMD’s goals haven’t wavered. At best, the few boards that have beta BIOSes with the feature will lose them in the future, unless users opted to stick with an unsupported (and almost certainly buggy) BIOS.
...
https://www.anandtech.com/show/14639/no ... ies-boards
W10x64 - P55 - i5 750 - 8GB - RX570 - 275GB - 4TB - 24" 16:10 - 650W

War Continues On, Why Can't We See The Truth, We Are All One

User avatar
Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced
Posts: 5637
Joined: Sun Mar 30, 2003 7:33 pm

Re: What's AMD (Processors) up to? v2

Post by Tabajara » Sat Jul 13, 2019 10:13 am

powerarmour wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 11:56 pm
thegrommit wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:00 pm
How can you tell? I assume you don't have a PCIe 4.0 SSD, and the Asus support site for the boards mentioned make no mention of this support.
It's just enabled in the latest BIOS, obviously I'd need a Zen2 to activate it and on my board only the M.2 slot is PCIe 4.0 allowed, but it's been tested as working as per below for certain select Asus boards:
With the current available C7H BIOS 2406, PCI-E Gen 4 will work with any PCI-E Gen 4 device connected to the CPU PCI-E lanes without any changes to BIOS settings. Just plug the device and install the driver. Similarly a PCI-E Gen 4 NVMe drive plugged in the CPU M.2-slot should work at Gen 4. The conclusion is that at least on AGESA 1.0.0.2, PCI-E Gen 4 is not actively blocked on non-X570 motherboards. If it will work on your board or in specific slots will be down to the board layout. The closer the slot is to the CPU (shorter trace length) the higher the chance of success. Increased PCB layer count and lack of PCI-E switches will also increase the chance of success.
https://www.overclock.net/forum/attachm ... 1562696771
https://www.overclock.net/forum/13-amd- ... -x570.html

AMD officially said they wouldn't support PCIe 4.0 on X470/B450, but it doesn't mean that the motherboard OEMs can't validate it themselves.
Interesting, as long as board lane construction can tolerate the higher bandwidth from the processor to the peripheral, it can be enabled :-k
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

Post Reply