Moderator: Moderators

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Re: Microsoft News

Post by powerarmour » Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm

shadow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 6:48 pm
I doubt that'll be a problem in the next several decades. Windows, Windows Server, and Office are not likely going to stop making money by the truckloads. Even their gaming division which some would tell you is failing made ten billion last year.
https://www.geekwire.com/2019/microsoft ... estimates/

We're nowhere near MS ever having cash flow problems.
That's an article from last year though, plus revenue isn't profit:
https://www.geekwire.com/2020/microsoft ... 9-quarter/

Their gaming division is bumbling along I guess, just above LinkedIn.
Libera te tutemet ex inferis

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 pm

Interesting, I didn't know cloud managed to surpass office and was the actual major cashcow... :-k
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri May 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Tabajara wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:40 pm
Interesting, I didn't know cloud managed to surpass office and was the actual major cashcow... :-k
Yup, predominantly a services company now.

shadow
nForce Padawan
nForce Padawan

Post by shadow » Fri May 22, 2020 8:31 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 7:14 pm
That's an article from last year though, plus revenue isn't profit:
Neither is Sonys recent 12 billion in revenue.

They're both total failures I'ma go cry for both of them.
This space for countries without leaders that sound like three year olds.

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm

shadow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:31 pm
What's this got to do with Sony? :-k

shadow
nForce Padawan
nForce Padawan

Post by shadow » Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:43 pm
shadow wrote:
What's this got to do with Sony?
The suggestion that MS isn't making craploads of money on it? Seriously, who even cares if it isn't their biggest cash cow?

(Not much, but it is pretty funny that they have over 2X the consoles and can't manage to make more than ~20% more revenue. Guess they haven't taken over the market at all.)

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 pm

shadow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:47 pm
The suggestion that MS isn't making craploads of money on it? Seriously, who even cares if it isn't their biggest cash cow?

(Not much, but it is pretty funny that they have over 2X the consoles and can't manage to make more than ~20% more revenue. Guess they haven't taken over the market at all.)
Still nothing to do with Sony. [-X
shadow wrote:
Anyway, numbers for their 'gaming divisions' as you're aware it's a small part of their other stuff right? (Sony has ~$80bn revenue overall)
Sony
Sony has announced its financial results for the year ending 31st March 2020, with its game and network services revenue falling by 14% year-on-year to JP¥1.977tn (£14.96bn), with operating income for the division having contracted by 23.4% to JP¥238.4bn (£1.803bn). The declining performance has been attributed to a reduction of PlayStation4 hardware, down to 13.6 million in 2019-2020 from 17.8 million the preceding year, as well as a slide in software sales as a result of fewer flagship first-party releases. On a more positive note for the Japanese conglomerate, subscribers to its PlayStation Plus have increased by 14% to 41.5 million registered users.

Microsoft
Revenue for Xbox content and services have increased by USD$33m (£27m), or 2%, year-on-year, with 90 million MAUs for Xbox Live services. However, as expected with the launch of the next-generation Xbox Series X console later in the year, hardware sales fell by a significant margin, down by 20% from this time last year.

Overall, the drop in hardware sales led to a 1% drop in Microsoft’s total gaming revenue, falling USD$14m (£11m) from last year to USD$2.35bn (£1.89bn). Over the nine month period ending 31st March, the company’s video game revenue has fallen by 12%, driven by a 38% decrease in hardware sales. Despite earlier projections from Microsoft estimating that it would not hit its targets for the segment in Q3 FY 2019-2020 as a result of the Covid-19 outbreak, revenue for its More Personal Computing vertical, which includes that of gaming, reached USD$11bn (£8.8bn), with a revised Q4 target now standing at USD$11.3bn-USD$11.7bn (£9.08bn-£9.40bn).
https://www.thegamingeconomy.com/2020/0 ... pril-2020/

Go and have a lie down, you'll feel better. :P

shadow
nForce Padawan
nForce Padawan

Post by shadow » Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm

powerarmour wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 8:53 pm
Go and have a lie down, you'll feel better. :P
Feel better than what?

All we're talking about that is that you've said over and over that MS is done with gaming or crap like that. While I doubt you still have that opinion, it still amuses me.

At any rate, it is indeed a pointless discussion.

powerarmour
Mod Squad
Mod Squad

Post by powerarmour » Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 pm

shadow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm
All we're talking about that is that you've said over and over that MS is done with gaming or crap like that.
The facts are MS are a huge company, of which their gaming division is a very small part.

You seem to act like they are the market leader, when they are perennially third in a two horse race...

Look, you've always preached MS here, you like their stuff, buy into their ecosystem and it's cool and I get that.
But it's just a business trying to sell sh*t to survive like any other.

shadow
nForce Padawan
nForce Padawan

Post by shadow » Sat May 23, 2020 12:37 am

powerarmour wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 10:09 pm
shadow wrote:
Fri May 22, 2020 9:46 pm
All we're talking about that is that you've said over and over that MS is done with gaming or crap like that.
The facts are MS are a huge company, of which their gaming division is a very small part.

You seem to act like they are the market leader, when they are perennially third in a two horse race...

Look, you've always preached MS here, you like their stuff, buy into their ecosystem and it's cool and I get that.
But it's just a business trying to sell sh*t to survive like any other.
I know they’re not a market leader and I’ve never had any reason to care.

Can’t disagree with you on any other point. I’m not religious about MS. Just like their s***.