Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Re: Browser Wars

Post by Tabajara » Wed Jul 10, 2019 1:21 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:00 pm
https://www.washingtonpost.com/technolo ... me-switch/
My tests of Chrome vs. Firefox unearthed a personal data caper of absurd proportions. In a week of Web surfing on my desktop, I discovered 11,189 requests for tracker “cookies” that Chrome would have ushered right onto my computer but were automatically blocked by Firefox. These little files are the hooks that data firms, including Google itself, use to follow what websites you visit so they can build profiles of your interests, income and personality.

Chrome welcomed trackers even at websites you would think would be private. I watched Aetna and the Federal Student Aid website set cookies for Facebook and Google. They surreptitiously told the data giants every time I pulled up the insurance and loan service’s log-in pages.
The "don't be evil" thing seems like a joke now :evil:
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm

But this is the default behaviour of any browser (or HTTP client really), unless actively looking for and preventing tracking cookies.
I didn't read the article (shame on me, I know), but that quote makes it look like Chrome actually distinguishes between "good" and "bad" cookies and still allows the bad ones in :-k
No sig due to budget cuts.

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:57 pm

jpr wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:02 pm
But this is the default behaviour of any browser (or HTTP client really), unless actively looking for and preventing tracking cookies.
Not on firefox.
By default, Firefox protects you from being tracked in private windows using a list of known trackers provided by Disconnect. Firefox allows some trackers so websites can function properly. You can change your settings to block trackers all the time, to block trackers from Disconnect’s level 2 list, or to not block any trackers at all.
Water cooled clay

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm

That's exact my point, Firefox has a database of trackers and knows how to identify them - other than that accepting cookies is part of the spec.

Not that I don't agree with it (I use all sorts of tracking protection), just pointing out the fact that it's not necessarily bad faith on the part of the Chrome team on this particular issue :)

Tabajara
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by Tabajara » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm

jpr wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm
That's exact my point, Firefox has a database of trackers and knows how to identify them - other than that accepting cookies is part of the spec.

Not that I don't agree with it (I use all sorts of tracking protection), just pointing out the fact that it's not necessarily bad faith on the part of the Chrome team on this particular issue :)
The search/navigation based ads do get tiresome, though. I don't know if this happened to you, but for sometime my wife has been seeing ads related to my searches.
Come put your overclock into good use at the nforcersHQ [email protected] team! :sweet:

thegrommit
Ultra nForced
Ultra nForced

Post by thegrommit » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:29 pm

jpr wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:15 pm

I mean that the default setting on firefox is to block known trackers. You would need to explicitly allow all cookies to get it to behave like Chrome.
Water cooled clay

jpr
Administrator
Administrator

Post by jpr » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:00 pm

thegrommit wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:29 pm
I mean that the default setting on firefox is to block known trackers. You would need to explicitly allow all cookies to get it to behave like Chrome.
Right, and that's a good move, tracking is getting ridiculous. I need to switch to Firefox eventually :-k
Tabajara wrote:
Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:06 pm
The search/navigation based ads do get tiresome, though. I don't know if this happened to you, but for sometime my wife has been seeing ads related to my searches.
Not sure if you're sharing devices, but I've seen "tracking cross-contamination" (let's call it that, for a lack of better term) across devices on the same network - I would get ads clearly targeted at my SO despite her never having used my phone, and vice-versa :roll: